Sometimes a bowed wall shows up in a place you don’t visit often — such as your basement or attic — and you don’t know when the problem originated. Other times, you find a bowed wall or leaning wall right smack dab in your living room. While neither is pleasant and they certainly have their own set of difficulties, one thing is for certain: you’re in need of foundation repair.
Many people think foundation contractors simply pour concrete for foundations or do foundation crack repair. However, bowed walls are a part of a foundation contractor’s repertoire just as much as a leaky basement is! In today’s blog, we’re going to fill you in on the basics of bowed walls and foundation repair so your home can be a safer, more enjoyable place for you and your family. If you’re in Nashville and are in need of foundation repair, then contact A-1 Concrete Leveling and Foundation Repair today to get started with a free quote.
Leaning Wall vs. Bowed Wall
The easiest way to tell the difference between a leaning wall and a bowed wall is to look at the cracks. A leaning wall typically has a horizontal crack near the top third of the wall, caused by soil expansion. Bowed walls, however, typically have a horizontal crack about halfway down, caused by hydrostatic pressure.
What Causes Bowed Walls?
This hydrostatic pressure is built up by groundwater draining near the foundation of your home. So, if there is improperly compacted fill, a change in water runoff, blasting, or inadequate drainage, you could soon have a foundation repair company at your home to repair the damage.
Treating the Problem Instead of the Symptom
Many foundation contractors will simply put a bandage on the problem by stabilizing or strengthening the wall. Here at A-1 Concrete Leveling and Foundation Repair, however, we know that more needs to be done. After we offer a free quote on your house foundation repair to better diagnose the problem and causes, we’ll straighten and strengthen the bowed wall at the same time. Here’s how it works:
- We brace the wall from the inside to prevent further damage
- We excavate the entire wall down to the foundation. This relieves the pressure.
- We straighten the wall and correct the cause of the cracking.
- We hydraulically jack your wall back into place.
- We drill holes on the outside of the wall and insert heavy duty rebar into every other cell. This allows the wall to be tied together and reinforced for strength.
- We pump your wall full of concrete.
- We brace the wall and leave the braces in place for four to seven days.
- Voila! Your wall is straight, strong, and ready to keep you and your family protected.
Schedule Foundation Repair in Nashville Today
Here at A-1 Concrete Leveling and Foundation Repair, we do all things foundation repair — it’s right in our name! From downspout extensions to floor supports, bowed walls, and more, we’re your go-to source in Nashville when you need foundation repair. Contact us today to get a free quote, and check out what makes our foundation repair company so great!