You may be a homeowner, but that doesn’t mean you’re an expert on all things homes! You call a plumber, painter, cleaner, and other professionals for jobs around the house. So, when it comes to your foundation, it only makes sense that you would call foundation contractors in Nashville.
However, many people try to ignore the problem because they’re afraid of the price tag or because they don’t know how serious the problem is. Here at A-1 Concrete Leveling and Foundation Repair, we’re here to help. We can get you started with a free quote to diagnose the problem and provide you with details on the foundation repair process, cost, timeline, and more. Plus, we also update our blog regularly with helpful tips for Nashville homeowners. Today’s blog will help you know what causes foundation cracks and how to know if they’re serious or not.
Of course, we always recommend calling in the professionals! We’re fast, affordable, and effective at what we do, and we’ll make sure the process is stress-free and transparent for you. Keep reading to learn more and contact us today for a free quote on foundation repair.
The Cause of Foundation Cracks
It’s impossible to say exactly what has caused your foundation cracks without looking at it directly, but cracks are generally caused by one of the following problems:
- Age of the Foundation: If you have an older home, don’t worry — your foundation is probably still fine. Concrete slab foundations can last 80 to 100 years. However, settling and cracks are common after just 20 years.
- Excess Water: If water seeps into your soil and then into your foundation, you’re going to have problems on your hands. Downspout extensions, drains, and more can help with this.
- Plumbing Problems: If you have leaky plumbing or inadequate drainage, then excess moisture from your plumbing could also cause the earth under your foundation to expand and cause problems.
- Poor Construction: If the material used to lay your foundation isn’t good, steps are skipped, or the ground isn’t prepared, then you may have foundation problems or cracks sooner rather than later.
- Soil Preparation and Type: Speaking of preparing the ground, the soil needs to be adequately compacted and prepared for a foundation. Soil type — such as expansive or heaving soil — needs to be taken into consideration both at the beginning of laying a foundation and in diagnosing a problem.
- Tree Roots: Here in the South, we certainly have big trees and we love the shade they provide near our homes. If the roots are growing toward your foundation, though, then the force of growth could negatively affect it and cause foundation cracks.
If you notice any of these problems in or around your Nashville home, then you may need foundation repair. A-1 Concrete Leveling and Foundation Repair can get you started with a free quote on foundation repair.
How to Know If It’s Serious
OK. So you know you have at least a crack or two, but how serious is it really? Are we talking a hairline fracture, a solid break, or a splintered break?
If you see any sort of a crack then, in short, your foundation has shifted or settled at least a little bit. Water and more can get in even through the tiniest of cracks, however, so you should be proactive in contacting your foundation contractors. Here are some tips for managing the cracks:
- Measure them and then recheck them as seasons change. You should definitely call for foundation repair if they get wider or spread.
- Horizontal gaps between concrete blocks or bricks will require immediate attention.
- Watch out for cracks that appear wider at one end than the other.
- Be sure to look at hard-to-see areas, such as the walls in your basement that are covered in boxes and storage.
To be safe, we recommend calling us as soon as you see any signs of foundation cracks or foundation problems. Fixing a small problem now instead of fixing a bigger problem in the future could save a lot of time, money, and stress. Foundation repair is our life’s work, and we’ll do our best to correct your problems quickly and affordably.
Schedule Foundation Repair in Nashville Today
Our foundation repair company is the trustworthy resource you’ve been looking for. Stop searching “how to repair cracks in concrete” and give us a call instead! Our foundation contractors are hardworking experts in their field, and our foundation repair company has more than 30 years of experience to put to the test for you.
Check out some of these popular blogs about foundation repair and give us a call today for a free quote:
- 4 Things to Look for in Your Foundation Contractor
- Set Up a Solid Foundation: 5 Tips for Maintaining Your Foundation
- 6 Reasons to Not Delay Foundation Repair
- What to Expect During Foundation Repair With A-1